Free Things To Do In Queens - Free Movies
Free Films & Movies In The Park In Astoria, LIC, Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Corona, Flushing, Jamaica
Updated August 8, 2012 / Queens Neighborhoods / Queens Buzz. Summer is upon us and a number of community groups in collaboration with the NYC Parks Department have put together a summer full of free movies and films in the parks. The films and movies listed below are designed for young and old alike and they're FREE.
Click here to view our report on free concerts in the parks - Queens, Astoria, LIC, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Flushing & Jamaica this summer 2012. Click here to view our report on free theater in the park. Click here to view things to in the Queens Events calendar.
1. Astoria Park Free Movies Astoria 2012
Free Things To Do In Astoria, Queens - Free Movies In ASTORIA PARK
Click here to view an Astoria Park map. The photo to your right was taken at a summer movie in Astoria Park.
- June 25, 2012 beginning at 7.30 pm - The Joe Battaglia Big Band - followed by a Grucci fireworks display [usually starts around dusk / 9 - 9.30 pm]
- August 6, 2012 beginning at 8.30 pm - Lion King
- August 13, 2012 beginning at 8.30 pm - Cars
- August 20, 2012 beginning at 8.30 pm - Thunder Soul
- August 22, 2012 beginning at 8.30 pm - Footloose
Sponsored by the Central Astoria Local Development Corporation.
2. Queens Museum of Art Free Movies Flushing 2012
Free Things To Do In Flushing, Queens - Free Films, Music and Performances in FLUSHING CORONA MEADOWS PARK - Passport Fridays
Click here to view a Flushing Meadows Corona Park map. The photo to your right was taken at a Passport performance in front of the Queens Museum Of Art, where all movies and performances take place.
- July 6 from 6.30 - 10 pm. Haiti - film about Haiti, dance by ASE Dance Theatre Collective & music by DJ A-Rara
- July 13 from 6.30 - 10 pm. Mexico - Las Cafeterias mixes Latin beat with modern American music and message, followed by film.
- July 20 from 6.30 - 10 pm. Cuba - Oyu Oro performs Afro-Cuban folk dance and music, followed by film.
- July 27 from 6.30 - 10 pm. Egypt - Egyptian celebration company perform folkloric dance and music of Egyptian & Middle East, followed by film.
- August 3 from 6.30 - 10 pm. West Indies - Something Positive Dance celebrates the 50th anniversary of Jamaican independence. Poetry, storytelling, dance, theater & music, followed by film.
- August 10 from 6.30 - 10 pm. Taiwan - Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company mix Taiwanese dance with modern and music, followed by film.
- August 17 from 6.30 - 10 pm. Dominican Republic - Irka & The Women of Fire, an all Dominican female ancestral group dance and play folk music under direction of Irka Mateo, followed by film.
- August 24 from 6.30 - 10 pm. Afro-Puerto Rican - Bombazo Dance Company dance west African mixed with Bomba and modern. Orquesta Rovira of Brooklyn play music, followed by film.
3. Socrates Sculpture Park Free Movies in LIC 2012
Free Things To Do In Long Island City LIC, Queens - Free Films / Movies, Performances & Food In Socrates Sculpture Park Astoria / LIC
Click here to view a Socrates Sculpture Park map. The photo to your right shows Socrates Sculpture Park in Long Island City. These events also include performances and food is available, but I believe you have to pay for it.
- July 4 at 7 pm - The American Experience - six short films about American culture [American - 51 mins]
- July 11 at 7 pm - Soul Kitchen - farce about transformation of diner in anticipation of neighborhood gentrification [Germany - 99 mins]
- July 18 at 7 pm - Lemonade Joe - spaghetti western Czech style [Czech Republic - 84 mins]
- July 25 [rain date August 29] at 7 pm - Her Masters Voice - contemplative comedy with ventriloquist - [English - 60 mins] - Possibility
- August 1 at 7 pm - Senna - documentary of the life of famous Formula One race car winner [Brazil - 106 mins] - Archives of thrill seeking life
- August 5, 2012 at 7 pm - Rural Route Films - short films of rural life - BROOKLYN GRANGE at 37-18 Northern Blvd LIC.
- August 8 at 7 pm - Summer Wars - animation of math prodigy who unlocks virtual world of avatars [Japan - 114] - Japan Academy of Animation Winner
- August 15 at 7 pm - Certified Copy - playful romance in Tuscan town w/ Juliet Binoche [French / Italian - 106 mins] - Cannes Winner
- August 22 at 7 pm - Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring - cinematic story told in Buddhist monastery about life & sensuality [South Korean - 103 mins]
- August 29 at 7 pm - Rain Date - see July 25th.
The movies were provided by the Museum of Moving Image, curated by Rooftop Films and sponsored by Socrates Sculpture Park.
4. Astoria / LIC Free Movies 2012 - Noguchi Museum
Free Things To Do In Astoria & LIC, Queens - Free Films & Movies, in Astoria & LIC
The Noguchi Museum will be showing films related to architecture / sculpture this summer. Click here to view a Noguchi Museum map.
- July 6, 2012 - talk begins at 6 and film from 7 - 8 pm - The Making of an Urban Farm [18 mins] and Ghost - a two week Nova Scotian design / build program [20 mins]. Admission $10 / $5 - might be free due to first Fridays.
- August 3, 2012 - talk begins at 6 and film from 7 - 8 pm - Endless Work in Time & Space - about building an eco-cathedral in the Netherlands [14 mins] and Monument to the Dream - about creation of Gateway Arch in St Louis [28 mins]. Admission $10 / $5 - might be free due to first Fridays.
- September 7, 2012- talk begins at 6 and film from 7 - 8 pm - My Playground - about design firms in Copenhagen and visiting & discussing their works around the world [59 mins]. Admission $10 / $5 - might be free due to first Fridays.
5. Jackson Heights Free Movies 2012
Free Things To Do In Jackson Heights, Queens - Free Films & Movies, in Jackson Heights & Elmhurst
The Queens World Film Festival will be re-showing some of the festival top films. Click here to view a Travers Park map.
- August 4 [rain date for July 20] at dusk [between 8 - 9 pm] - Queens World Film Festival Greatest Hits
- July 27 at dusk [between 8 - 9 pm] - Queens World Film Festival Greatest Hits
Sponsored by Queens World Film Festival.
6. Sunnyside / Woodside Free Movies 2012
Free Things To Do In Sunnyside & Woodside Queens - Free Films / Movies in Noonan Park at Greenpoint Avenue and 43rd Street in Sunnyside NY
- July 6 at 8 pm - The Land Before Time  - orphan dinosaurs revisit their home and battle for survival
- August 3 at 8 pm - Footloose  - city boy goes to small town where dance and rock music have been banned
Sponsored by the Sunnyside Shines BID.
Free Movies, Films & Theater In Queens - Parks
Astoria, LIC, Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Corona, Flushing, Jamaica
Site Search Tips. 1) For best results, when typing in more than one word, use quotation marks - eg "Astoria Park". 2) Also try either singular or plural words when searching for a specific item such as "gym" or "gyms".
Click this link to search for something in our Queens Business Directory containing over 1,000 listings.
Send this story to a friend by filling in the appropriate box below.